The Great Eastern Ranges Initiative (GER) brings people and organisations together to protect, link and restore healthy habitats over 3,600km, from western Victoria through NSW and the ACT to far north Queensland.
GER has been developed to stem the loss of native species, provide natural solutions to a changing climate, protect precious resources and ensure a healthy, resilient landscape for wildlife and people.
We support and enable voluntary partnerships involving more than 250 local, regional and national organisations representing a broad spectrum of natural resource managers and conservation stakeholders: Aboriginal people and field naturalists, Landcare and local government, public land managers and research institutions, businesses and educators, policy makers and scientists.
We take a strategic and scientific approach to conservation, working on collaborative projects to:
- Apply science to communicate what nature needs;
- Promote connectivity principles across sectors, tenures and landscapes;
- Mobilise a network of coordinated efforts that restore connectivity for native species; and
- Enable communities through fundraising.
By supporting efforts in the highest priority places, we are achieving something far greater than the sum of our parts – securing the future of one of the world’s great landscapes and the wildlife within.
To provide national leadership and support service to our partners through our advocacy for connectivity conservation, and enabling of a national network.
As a newly independent entity, complemented by the ability to more explicitly address four interrelated roles and functions, namely:
- Science … To connect applied science with operations and community values to communicate ‘what does nature need?’
- Advocacy … To provide an independent voice to promote connectivity conservation principles across tenures, jurisdictions and nature for the wider GER network and NRM business sector
- Fundraising … To raise funds for the GER as an enterprise, a community movement, and the landscape
- Network support … To support a national network through our partnership arrangements, enabling activity & resource mobilisation